Position: Consulting Psychologist
Type: Part Time
Location: Hamilton/Niagara Region (virtual and onsite)
Consulting Psychologist for Community-based Acquired Brain Injury Agency Part Time
Head Injury Rehabilitation Ontario (HIRO) is looking for an experienced psychologist to be the agency’s Consultant Psychologist and to participate as a member of the interdisciplinary team for individuals who have an acquired brain injury (ABI).
HIRO is a community-based agency offering rehabilitation services for individuals who have an acquired brain injury (ABI). The agency provides a full-range of integrated services, including 24-hour residential care and community group and outreach services in Hamilton, Niagara and Brant. Haldimand.
The agency’s vision is ‘every person with a brain injury realizes their full and unique potential’. The majority of clients served by HIRO have moderate to severe ABI and are considered to be amongst the ‘hardest to serve’ ABI population in the province. They have suffered a catastrophic ABI, have chronic cognitive and/or physical impairments and often present with challenging behaviours. Additionally, the majority of the residential care clients have a history of mental health condition and/or addiction. There is also a high incidence of clients with other co-morbid conditions, e.g. diabetes, lung disease, seizure disorder, and many of the clients’ needs are changing due to aging. The interdisciplinary team works collaboratively with clients and their families to achieve goals that are meaningful to them.
- Provides psychological assessment, diagnosis and treatment for adults who have an ABI;
- Provides consultation related to the development and review of behaviour support plans for clients living in the residential homes;
- Provides clinical supervision for the behaviour therapist;
- Works collaboratively with other members of the client’s interdisciplinary care team, including participating in the assessment and care planning, monitoring changes in behavioural and mental health status, and providing treatments or interventions to meet the client’s assessed needs;
- Participates in care planning meetings with other team members to ensure coordination of client services and rehabilitation that focuses on client goal attainment;
- Provides timely consultations via email/phone to other team members;
- Advises HIRO leadership team on the evolution of our model of care.
- Current registration to practice as a psychologist and membership in good standing with the College of Psychologists of Ontario;
- Holds a certificate of registration with the College authorizing autonomous practice;
- Demonstrated focus of practice in either clinical psychology, clinical neuropsychology or rehabilitation psychology;
- Demonstrated experience working with adults who have an ABI, mental health condition and/or addiction history;
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of an interdisciplinary team of regulated health professionals and unregulated team members;
- Shares a philosophy of client/family as partners in the interdisciplinary team;
- Experience working in community-based care settings an asset;
- Excellent communication, decision-making, problem-solving, conflict management and time management skills.
TIME COMMITMENT: Dedicates a minimum of two days per month providing care, consultation and supervision.
COMPENSATION: Hourly rate negotiable
DEADLINE: Posted until filled.
Please forward resume and cover letter to email@example.com
We would like to thank all applicants for submitting their resume; however, only applicants selected to be interviewed will be contacted. HIRO values the diversity of our employees and clients; we strive to nurture an environment in which differences in culture and lived experience are understood, respected, supported and appreciated. Head Injury Rehabilitation Ontario offers accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted for an interview, please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.