Position: Social Worker (Counsellor/Psychotherapist)
Type: Full Time
Location: Main Office
For over 30 years, Head Injury Rehabilitation Ontario (HIRO) has been committed to working with acquired brain injury (ABI) survivors and their families to address the challenges they face with dignity, respect and expertise. Our goal is to help our clients realize their full and unique potential. We are a promise of hope after ABI.
HIRO is unique in its ability to provide evidence-based, client and family centered ABI rehabilitation care in the community. We work with clients and their families to achieve goals that are meaningful for them throughout our continuum of care; from six residential care homes, to transitional living apartments and to community services including group as well as outreach. HIRO serves people from across Ontario through services in Hamilton, Burlington, Niagara, St. Catharines, Brant and Haldimand-Norfolk regions. During the COVID-19 pandemic HIRO has implemented a leading-edge infection prevention and control program that goes beyond legislative and regulatory requirements and adopts rigorous best practices to ensure client and staff safety.
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY:
The Social Worker will assess and treat clients with acquired brain injuries (and comorbidities). They will provide coaching and psychoeducation to staff for residential implementation, and aid with system navigation as needed.
This position offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, health benefits, RRSP contribution, and with on-going professional development opportunities.
The Social Worker will:
- Conduct psychosocial assessments of clients and develop appropriate intervention plans and reports;
- In collaboration with clients, their families and clinical team, assess treatment needs and develop individual care and service plans;
- Provide clients with outcome oriented, time-limited counselling;
- Communicate necessary and relevant information to clients, agencies, staff, interprofessional team members, and family where appropriate;
- Coordinate and monitor care plan delivery;
- Administer outcome tools where appropriate;
- Participate as needed in case conferences;
- Be aware of current best practices in social work services for individuals with acquired bran injury and associated comorbidities;
- Skills in alternative communication styles an asset (for persons with fluency and/or articulation disorders, hard of hearing, mild aphasias, executive dysfunction, or impaired comprehension);
- Facilitate therapeutic groups based on identified needs, and report on results of the group as appropriate.
- Liaise with management, clinical team and employees to ensure that recommendations for residential clients are understood and can be implemented;
- Develop Emergency Support Plans in collaboration with the clinical team, and implement with residential staff.
- Comprehensive knowledge of regional community resources in Hamilton and Niagara areas;
- Aid client with navigating external service providers/refer as required;
- Keep abreast of changes in legislation that have the potential to impact clients;
- Provide consultation to inter-professional team members and care coordination to individuals;
- Demonstrates professional and ethical business practices;
- Design and present psychoeducation groups virtually or in-person for community partners;
- A Masters level degree in Social Work (MSW) from an Accredited University is required
- Registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers
- Three years’ work experience in social work or related field
- Additional training in the following areas an asset:
- Trauma-informed counselling practices (e.g. Acceptance and Commitment Therapy)
- Suicide Intervention (e.g. Mental Health First Aid, Applied Suicide Intervention Skills Training, etc.)
- Psychoeducation on nervous-system-based theories
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in computer software programs such as word, excel and power point
- Access to a reliable vehicle and a valid driver’s licence is required
- Valid First Aid/CPR certificate is an asset
- Ability to speak French is an asset
This position requires a current criminal reference check with vulnerable screening.
Please forward resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
We would like to thank all applicants for submitting their resume; however, only applicants selected to be interviewed will be contacted. HIRO values the diversity of our employees and clients; we strive to nurture an environment in which differences in culture and lived experience are understood, respected, supported and appreciated. Head Injury Rehabilitation Ontario offers accommodations for applicants with disabilities. If you are contacted for an interview, please let us know if you require accommodations during the interview process.