Board of Directors
Board Meeting Minutes
Client and Family Engagement
Cathy Wever Place
John Reesor Centre
Transitional Living Service
See how HIRO clients are participating in our Group Services’ day program.
Download the calendar as a .pdf
Scroll to top
June is Brain Injury Awareness
Month in Canada
With over 20,000 Canadians being hospitalized each year with an acquired traumatic brain injury
(per Government of Canada website)
there is a huge need for public education around the prevention and impact of traumatic brain injuries
Did you know?
(Source: Brain Injury Association of Canada)
· More Canadians are living with an acquired brain injury (ABI) than those living with multiple sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, spinal cord injuries and breast cancer combined.
· 452 Canadians suffer a serious brain injury every day: that's 1 person every 3 minutes!
· There are two types of ABIs: non-traumatic and traumatic.
· Traumatic brain injuries are caused by forces outside the body (for example motor vehicle accidents, assault, sports injuries) and non-traumatic brain injuries are caused by something that occurs inside the body (such as a stroke, brain tumour or substance abuse)
· Every person responds differently to an ABI, but common impacts include physical, cognitive, emotional and behavioural changes.
What can be done to prevent an ABI from occurring in the first place?
· Wearing a seatbelt and securing children in proper cars seats.
· Wearing the correct helmet for sports.
· Fall prevention for children and the elderly (i.e. handrails,safety gates, tripping hazards)
How do you support someone suffering from an ABI?
· Be patient. Brain injury recovery can be unsettling and frustrating.
· Don’t expect the person to be the same as they were before their injury-recovery takes time.
· Rehabilitation is key for recovery.
· Don’t take it personally if the person's behaviours are rude or abrupt. This is a common symptom of someone suffering from an ABI.
· Look after yourself so you can take of the person living with an ABI.
Powered by Convert Plus
CLOSE POP UP MESSAGE